Good Morning. Here are some beer, football and even some music links to get you through your Sunday. Enjoy
- There is a vocal and mentally ill minority of the Georgia fan base that think Aaron Murray should be on the bench. The blog Lucid Idiocy calls them and the AJC troll out for their, well their idiocy. (h/t The Senator)
- Steve Spurrier is still bitching about Georgia’s schedule last year.
- Hey Texas A&M has already produced a bad rap video. Talk about SEC Speed!
- Arkansas AD Jeff Long’s handwritten notes on his personal investigation of Bobby Petrino are simply fascinating.
- An ad agency is mad at New Belgium for the ad campaign touting their new lager “Shift,” which is very tasty by the way.
- One of my all time favorites, Levon Helm died this week. I have been on a “The Band” bender ever since here are some gems:
The making of Cripple Creek. Simply Fascinating
Levon Helm’s mini movie “only Halfway Home” to promote his wonderful album Dirt Farmer
The 17th annual Classic City Brewfest came and went. Below is my wishlist and my thoughts:
FRENCH BROAD IPA – Where are the hops?
FRENCH BROAD RYEHOPPER PALE – OK at best.
WILD HEAVEN LET THERE BE LIGHT – Super session beer. According to owner, Nick Purdy, six pack of bottles coming soon.
SOUTHERN TIER OAKED UNEARTHLY – Fantastic. Everything this brewery does kicks ass.
TERRAPIN EASY RIDER SESSION ALE – Didn’t have it.
MOON RIVER APPARITION ALE – Very good, a little hoppier than I anticipated.
MOON RIVER WILD WACKY WIT – A very solid wit. Great tartness. Tartness, is that word?
TWAIN’S GOLDEN ALE – Didn’t have it.
TWAIN’S HELL FOR SOCIETY STOUT – Solid, not spectacular. Pretty straight forward stout.
TWAIN’S MAD HAPPY PALE ALE – Very drinkable. I’ll have another.
TWAIN’S TROPICALIA IPA – Awesome. lots of citrus flavors as the name would imply. Hoppy, but very balanced.
FINCH BEER CO. CUTTHROAT PALE - Underwhelming.
FINCH BEER CO. GOLDEN WING BLONDE – Blah.
The cask tent had some great beers. The highlight in the cask tent was a Sweetwater Exdous Porter that had some extra hops. Lots of praise was heaped upon the Lazy Magnolia blueberry cask, but it had a strong aftertaste reminiscent of Pledge. Abita had a bourbon barrel aged ale that was phenomenal. New Belguim La Folie was a hit, the standard bearer as sours go, in my opinion. Meads debuted their meed brewed right here in Athens, it was tasty but a little to sweet to have more than a few ounces. Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp was good , but not worth the hype.
Beer of the day: Twain’s Tropicalia.
It was an awesome day with friends. Looking forward to next year. I dare you to go to a beer festival that has live music other than a Celtic or bluegrass band. I dare you.
The 17th annual Classic City Brewfest is today. There will be over 350 beers and 15 one-off casks. Here are the beers I am looking forward to trying. A full report on the all the reverly will be up post-festival
FRENCH BROAD IPA
FRENCH BROAD RYEHOPPER PALE
WILD HEAVEN LET THERE BE LIGHT
SOUTHERN TIER OAKED UNEARTHLY
TERRAPIN EASY RIDER SESSION ALE
MOON RIVER APPARITION ALE
MOON RIVER WILD WACKY WIT
TWAIN’S GOLDEN ALE (K)
TWAIN’S HELL FOR SOCIETY STOUT (K)
TWAIN’S MAD HAPPY PALE ALE (K)
TWAIN’S TROPICALIA IPA (K)
fINCH BEER CO. CUTTHROAT PALE
FINCH BEER CO. GOLDEN WING BLONDE
Well Spring Practice is over and the long grueling march towards September begins. G Day wrapped up everything in a nice little bow for the Georgia Bulldogs.
- Lots of scoring but as Marc Weiszer tells us, nothing to worry about defensively.
- By all accounts the Running Backs have had a nice spring. Yesterday confirmed that as Ken Malcome got the start and looked good gaining 32 yards on 8 carries. His Touchdown run was legit SEC stuff. Isaiah Crowell looked good too. Even though he was doing it against the reserves I thought Richard Samuel looked rather beastly in his second half performance at running back.
- The offensive line still has some work to do as expected. However I thought the #1 unit held their own against the #1 defense.
- Special teams are probably the hardest thing to judge during the spring and not much to report from G Day other than we need a real punter. Miss you already Drew!
Really not too much to day other than that. The first team defense looks like a legitimate championship unit and Aaron Murray looked confident.
Only 19 more Saturdays without football you guys.